Screen Shot 2021 03 04 At 5 46 28 Pm

Basics of Florida’s PIP Coverage

All but a couple of states require some level of car insurance coverage. In Florida, one of the statutory requirements for all drivers is Personal Injury Protection (PIP) insurance. This requirement is covered in Florida Statute 627.736. 

While you likely have this type of insurance, you may not understand what it covers or what benefits it provides. So, what is PIP and how can it help injured motorists in the Sunshine State?

PIP Is A No-Fault Coverage

A large component and distinct advantage of PIP is that it is a no-fault coverage, meaning it covers you after an accident even if you were at fault in the accident. 

There are limits to the coverage that pertain to the severity of injuries, contributions to medical expenses, and percentages of lost wages. 

How Much Does It Cost?

The PIP coverage amount in Florida is the same for everyone: $10,000. Your insurance carrier offers you this coverage in exchange for a monthly premium. This premium can depend on several factors such as your deductible amount, where you live, your accident history, what type of car you drive, etc. When being quoted for the insurance, you can also choose to exclude other family members from the policy and work loss to reduce your premium. 

Remember the higher deductible may reduce your premium, but PIP is already only going to cover 80% of your medical bills. You will be on the hook for the remaining 20% plus the deductible. 

What Types of Injuries Does PIP Cover?

As the name suggests, it is protection for your personal injuries following a car crash. This type of insurance does not cover any costs related to property damage, theft, or injuries to other drivers or occupants of other vehicles. 

Any injuries sustained from the car accident must be considered emergencies in order to qualify for the full benefits of PIP coverage. In these situations, your personal injury protection insurance will cover up to 80% of medical costs that total a maximum of $10,000. 

An emergency medical condition, in the context of PIP benefits and as outlined by Florida statute, must meet certain conditions. These include acute symptom onset, severe pain, and serious impairment or dysfunction to bodily functions or organs. 

There are also strict time frames associated with the care you receive after your accident. Your initial treatment must occur within 14 days after the car accident. Some examples of procedures and healthcare needs that may be eligible are:

  • Ambulatory services;
  • Surgical procedures; 
  • Diagnostic testing;
  • Rehabilitative treatment;
  • Emergency room and hospital expenses; and
  • Medication.

Keep a detailed log of the medical expenses. Don’t worry if your injuries are less severe. You could still qualify for up to $2,500 towards your non-emergency medical care that was necessitated by a car accident. 

If you believe that your injuries and subsequent medical treatment met these standards, but your claim was denied by your insurance company, please contact our firm to find out how we can help you get the benefits you deserve. 

How Does PIP Help with Lost Wages?

If your car accident was serious enough that you suffer lost wages as a result of your injuries, your PIP coverage will also pay for 60% of your lost wages up to $10,000. This can make a big difference when you are trying to heal and recover from an accident, and this benefit is another huge advantage of PIP coverage. 

Keep in mind that this percentage and the 80% for medical care come from the same $10,000, meaning you will need to determine how you want to divide this coverage. Any money you allot to cover lost wages means there will be less to cover healthcare costs.

Does PIP Provide Any Other Benefits?

Florida’s mandatory PIP insurance also includes death benefits. In the event that the policyholder passes away as a result of the collision, $5,000 is available for funeral and burial costs. This amount may go to the policyholder’s estate, heirs, or personal representative. 

PIP coverage can also cover costs resulting from the injured party’s inability to perform everyday tasks. Things like cleaning, childcare, and pet care can suddenly seem impossible after being significantly injured. Your insurance coverage can cover some of the expenses to have these services completed while you recover. 


MedPay is a type of additional coverage offered by your insurance company which can add an additional $5,000 worth of coverage and help pay the 20% that PIP does not cover at a relatively low additional cost. It is worth having on your policy. 

We know that this can seem confusing and complicated. Contact Jaime “Mr. 786Abogado” Suarez who has over 20 years of experience working with PIP benefits. Put our expertise in car accident cases and personal injury compensation to work for you.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *