How To File

How to File a Property Damage Claim

Most auto accidents involve personal injuries and property damage. Property damage  may include damage to your vehicle and personal property inside the car at the time of  the accident. There are several reasons why someone would need to file a property  damage claim. For instance, the most obvious reason is that if your car was damaged in  an accident, you want to get it repaired as quickly as possible. While you wait, you’ll likely  need a rental vehicle. In this blog post, I will discuss the process of filing a property  damage claim with the liable party’s insurance company.

Filing a Property Damage Claim 

Personal injury claims can take weeks or months to get resolved. On the other hand, property damage claims are easier to prove and can be settled much faster. This is  because the cost of automobile repairs is a fixed amount. This means that in most cases,  you won’t have to wait more than a few days while your car is being repaired. Property  damage claims can normally be handled with a few telephone calls and emails. Your  discussions with the auto repair shop and claims adjuster don’t have to be in person.  Other than emailing or faxing some repair estimates, your claim can be handled solely by  telephone. Make sure that you keep summaries of your discussions with claims adjusters  organized. Keep track of all the relevant information on your claim because it is crucial to  have this information readily available to successfully pursue a property damage claim.  To file a property damage claim, you must call your own insurance company. There are  several reasons why you need to contact your own auto insurance company. Most  insurance policies include language requiring you to inform the company of any accident  regardless of fault. If you don’t tell them, they may be within their right to deny your claim.  Also, if the other driver is uninsured or underinsured, you may have coverage under the  uninsured or underinsured motorist or UIM portion of your insurance policy. If the damage  to your car is minor, you may not want to wait for the other driver’s insurance company to  act. Simply check your deductible since your deductible may be as high or higher than  the actual cost of repairs. Another important reason to call your insurance company is in  case the other driver denies liability and alleges the accident was your fault. Once you file  your claim, the adjuster’s responsibilities include coordinating with you and the auto repair  shop to get your car repaired. When your car is damaged, you have a right to have it  brought back to the condition it was in before the accident that includes having the repair  shop installed the same type and quality of parts that were on your car before it was  damaged. Those parts are commonly referred to as OEM or original equipment  manufactured parts. If you don’t insist on OEM parts, the claims adjuster may only  authorize cheaper generic parts. 

Third Party Claims 

In addition to calling your own insurance company, it is important call the at fault drivers  insurance company as well. Call the other drivers insurance company to file a claim. Your  claim will be assigned to a claim’s adjuster. Make sure you get your claim number. For  future reference, this type of claim is referred to as a third-party claim. The other driver is  considered the first party and his insurance is the second party. if you live in a no-fault state like Florida, you’re required to carry personal injury protection insurance or PIP.  However, keep in mind that PIP doesn’t cover property damage, PIP only covers personal  injury. 

Speak with a Personal Injury Attorney Today!  

We have dealt with nearly every type of personal injury case imaginable. Not all personal  injury law firms in South Florida are the same. If you are wondering who the right attorney  is to assist you with your injury, there are several factors to think about. Our attorneys are  experienced, have a proven track record of success and they work extremely hard for our  clients. At the Law Offices of Suarez and Montero Car Accident Attorneys, you are never  just another file or claim to us—you are part of our family and your well-being is just as important to us as if you were our own family. Our car accident lawyers work with  investigators, witnesses, and experts to obtain all the essential details of any accident to  help put you in the best possible position to obtain compensation for your injury and  damages. Our attorneys are ready to provide proven legal representation in pursuing your  claim and stand ready to protect your rights. We are available 24/7 to give you a free, no  risk case consultation.  

We help clients throughout South Florida including those in the following areas:  

Miami-Dade: Aventura, Coral Gables, Doral, Fontainebleau, Hialeah, Homestead,  Kendall, Miami, Miami Beach, Miami Lakes, North Miami, Tamiami, and Westchester.  

Broward: Fort Lauderdale, Hallandale Beach, Hollywood, Pembroke Pines, and Weston;  and Palm Beach County including Boca Raton, Lake Worth, and West Palm Beach.