Out-of-State Visitors Hurt in Florida Car Accidents: What You Need to Know

If you or a loved one were recently injured in a Florida car accident and you were traveling from another state, you may be a bit confused about the insurance claims process and on how to get compensated for your injuries. An out-of-state visitor who is involved in a car accident in Florida may still have a personal injury claim. Of course, your case may be a bit different than the claim of a person who is a resident of Florida, but there are many similarities. Another interesting situation involves foreigners who are injured in a car accident in Florida. They too, have similar rights to US residents in Florida injury claims. However, there are many differences. This blog post will touch on some of the most common issues that can arise when an out-of-state person is involved in a car accident in the state of Florida. This post also provides information on insurance coverages that may be available to you if you were injured in a car accident in Florida.

Your UM Coverage Follows You to Florida: If you own a car in another state and have uninsured motorist (“UM”) coverage and another driver is responsible for your car crash, your own UM insurance policy will have you covered. Note that your UM covers you even if you’re not in your own car. Additionally, visitors should be aware that they may not need to meet the no-fault threshold for pain and suffering damages if they have UM coverage and are a resident of a “fault” state. In Florida, UM coverage typically doesn’t cover you for your pain and suffering unless you meet the tort threshold requirement. However, if you live in a “fault state” and an uninsured vehicle driver’s negligence causes your injury in Florida, you don’t have to meet the no-fault threshold in order to get money for pain and suffering from your UM insurer.

Visitors to Florida Can Get PIP Insurance Coverage for Rentals: Personal Injury Protection insurance pays up to $10,000 of medical bills and lost wages after an accident in Florida regardless of fault. Many clients have a hard time understanding why the rental car’s PIP insurance pays if someone else caused the accident. The answer is simple: Florida is a no-fault state. If you’re hurt while occupying a rental car in Florida, you get the rental car’s PIP coverage. Unless there is another PIP coverage available that should pay first. Additionally, note that the rental car’s PIP coverage may be in addition to any Medpay coverage available on your auto insurance policy.

If You Live in Another State, and Are Hurt in a Florida Car Accident, How Long Do Out-of-State Visitors Have to File a Lawsuit? The time limit to sue the at fault party from an auto accident in Florida is usually 4 years from the date of the crash. Cases against a government entity have shorter deadlines. Someone who lives in another state, but is hurt in a Florida car crash, has 5 years to sue an insurer of a Florida uninsured motorist (UM) auto policy. If the visitor to Florida has an out of state UM policy, the out of state law will determine how long the visitor has to sue that UM insurer.

What If You’re Injured in a Rideshare Accident While in Florida? If you’re injured in an Uber or Lyft accident in Florida, while visiting from another state, your claim is a bit more complicated. gets more complex. In these types of accidents, it is important for you to contact an Uber or Lyft personal injury lawyer to protect your rights. This is because you’ll be dealing with multiple insurance coverages and different state laws. An attorney can help you make a Personal Injury Protection (PIP) or Medpay claim with your own auto insurance carrier. This is true even if the injured person was not in his or her own automobile at the time of the accident. However, keep in mind that if you were visiting Florida for work purposes and were within the course of your employment at the time of the accident, out of state Medpay insurance likely won’t cover you.

Speak with an Experienced Personal Injury Attorney Today!

A good lawyer must be able to foresee how the jury will view your case. Your attorney must be extremely knowledgeable of the true value of your case and be open to the possibility of bringing a bad faith claim against the defendant’s insurance company—as well as weigh many more factors in order to realistically inform a client whether their accident case is worth pursuing. The attorneys at Suarez & Montero can meet with you to discuss further. always available to talk with you and answer your questions. Our skillful attorneys are genuinely committed to our clients. We will fight to make sure that you get the maximum amount of compensation owed to you. Let us help you get the medical care you need and fight to make sure you are compensated for your injuries! Our attorneys are ready to provide proven legal representation in pursuing your claim and stand ready to protect your rights. We are available 24/7 to give you a free, no risk case consultation.

We serve clients throughout Florida including those in the following areas:

Miami-Dade: Aventura, Coral Gables, Doral, Fontainebleau, Hialeah, Homestead, Kendall, Miami, Miami Beach, Miami Lakes, North Miami, Tamiami, and Westchester.

Broward: Fort Lauderdale, Hallandale Beach, Hollywood, Pembroke Pines, and Weston; and Palm Beach County including Boca Raton, Lake Worth, and West Palm Beach.

The Law Offices of Suarez & Montero Car Accident Attorneys represents accident victims injured in various types of accidents including:

• Distracted Driving Accident Lawyers

• T-Bone Car Accidents

• Road Rage Car Accidents

• Head-on Collisions

• Rollover Accidents

• Rear-end Car Accidents

• Left Turn Accidents

• Failure to Yield Car Accidents

• Sideswipe Accidents

• Merging Accidents

• Lane Change Accidents

• Construction Zone Car Accidents

• Truck Accidents

• Semi-Truck Accidents

• Bicycle Accidents

• Train Accidents

• Pedestrian Accidents

• Boating Accidents

Jaime Suarez

An experienced legal personal injury defense professional in Miami, who is dedicated to helping accident victims with personal injury cases involving automobile accidents, brain and spinal cord injuries, slip and fall accidents, prescription errors, wrongful death, and accidents at work.